In this course, we will learn how to pull out the DNA from an organism so that we can actually see DNA! 👀 In fact, you will actually pull out the DNA from a strawberry! You’ll just need to get a few easy-to-find materials and this course will guide you through the whole process.
Click on the “Materials” tab above to view a list a supplies and materials needed to provide students the fullest experience in this course.
DNA extraction buffer: Teacher/Learning Coach may choose prior to class to prepare the DNA extraction buffer. In a container add 900mL water, then 50mL dishwashing detergent (or 100mL shampoo): , and finally 2 teaspoons salt. Slowly invert the bottle to mix the extraction buffer. clear dish soap: https://amzn.to/3yaQpO0
- Goggles or safety glasses: https://amzn.to/3zT4EZ7
- Bulk option: https://amzn.to/3Qw0axH
- Non-latex gloves: https://amzn.to/3OxWKbE
- sealable sandwich bag: https://amzn.to/3beBGc0
- 1-2 strawberries
- Plastic cup or beaker: https://amzn.to/3NaVD0z
- Coffee filter: https://amzn.to/3ybw3o9
- Small bowl for trash
- 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (chilled): https://amzn.to/39JyeWw
- 250ml beaker (can also just use another cup)
- Straw or tweezers
(NOTE: materials and supplies DO NOT have to be purchased though Muhammad Online Science Academy affiliate links. Muhammad Online Science Academy LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Muhammad Online Science Academy.)